A – General Information on Dry Mouth
Dry mouth, as the name suggest, is the condition that your mouth is lack of moisture and saliva. Scientifically, dry mouth is called as Xerostomia. The fact is, saliva plays such an important role to moisten and digest food, along with that, is is such a wonderful tool to prevent bacteria and fungi within your mouth. With that said, you can imagine how annoying can be when lacking of saliva, as the state of dry mouth.
There are many reasons directly leading to dry mouth, there are some can be named here:
- Dehydration: is when your body is not provide adequate amount of fluids. In such cases, it is more likely that the mouth will witness dryness and chances are you will get lots of oral issues.
- Side effects of certain medication: There are some medicine that dehydrate the body and more likely to dry out the mouth. Even when you following instructions of doctors, you still can get dry mouth.
- Smoking: One of the most common reason that directly lead to dry mouth is smoking. In fact, smoking is just actually the number one signs of consequences smoking could bring about. In the later phase, it can worsen the problems, bring about so many bad effects to body.
- Stress: Can also on the list leading to dry mouth.
There are many more and with all those reason listed, dry mouth can target anyone at any age. Knowing all the reason is important to avoid them so that you are unlikely to go down with dry mouth. However, in case you already have get caught with dry mouth, it is better that you find the treatments.
B – How to get rid of dry mouth
This issue is actually is not a serious problem to health, therefore, it can totally be treated at home, without the help to doctors. Those are all natural home remedies that you can apply on your own from ingredients right in your kitchen without the help of anyone. Keep scrolling down for these following tips if you want to get rid of dry mouth at home simply:
As listed above, bad habits: smoking, stress are all lead to dry mouth. This health issue, is actually the warning that it is high time changing your lifestyle, into a healthier and more positive direction.
- The first and most important step is quit smoking if you are a smoker.
- Stop using drugs or alcoholic/ caffeinated drinks as they will all end up drying out your mouth.
- Go for exercise: the deal when you are doing exercise is to help generate endorphins, a substances that makes you happier, hence no more stress drying out your mouth.
Increase Fluid Intake
As stated, dehydration is the main reason leading to dry mouth. In such cases, you know what to do. You need to include more fluid intake to the body. Normal people would take 2 liters of water on average to function properly. You would also need up to such point, in any forms such as water, milk, fruit juice and so forth.
WHen you provide sufficient amount of fluid, it would help to make enough saliva and you will find dry mouth in no time. There are some rules or tips you need to strictly follow if you want to have adequate fluid intake:
- Drink 2 liters or 9 glasses of water on daily basis.
- Eat more water based fruit such as watermelon, oranges, lemon and so forth.
- Drink tea, milk and any form of fluid, except for alcoholic drink.
This type of seeds are known for enriching saliva productions in the mouth. Moreover, it can also help fighting of bad breath and annoying odor from the mouth. Due to this reason, the seeds make itself one of the most important ingredient among natural home remedies for dry mouth. The tip of using this is also quite simple, you can either eat them raw or drink fennel seeds tea.
- Have a cup of fennel seeds and fenugreek seeds grind well to get even powder.
- Add few teaspoons of salt into the mixture then mix the tea out of this mixture of powder.
- Strain and leave the tea to cool down then sip this tea throughout the day.
This method might sound a bit challenging as we all know that cayenne pepper is quite spicy and hard to consume. However, it is where this ingredient gets effect as the spicy helps to enhance production of saliva within mouth. Moreover, it is known to improves the taste of flavours so you do not have to worry about dry mouth in no time. The simplest and quickest way is to apply directly:
- Have the pepper powder ground then directly rubbed around the tongue using your finger.
- Remember to apply the very thin coat of cayenne pepper as it might leave your tongue with burning sensation. If so, do not stop as that’s the point when cayenne pepper is stimulated.
Another way is to mix this pepper powder to your daily meal and dishes to enhance the taste in case you cannot bear the spicy.
Many people have been going for oil pulling method when it comes to oral problems, not just mouth dryness but bad odor of the mouth, tooth-decay and so forth. There are good quality of moist in oil to keep your mouth moisture and dry out bacteria within the mouth. There are quite amount of essential oil for your to choose to pull: coconut oil, sesame oil or peppermint. Here is how:
- Have one cup of coconut oil and swish in your mouth for 10 seconds then spit out. This is count as one round.
- You can repeat for few more times and swishing around 15 or 20 seconds and spit them all out.
- Rinse of your mouth again with warm water.
- You should practice oil pulling twice a day, in the morning as you wake up and evening before brushing your teeth to go to bed.
About the Author
This article is written by Ashley Bennet, a health consultant for over 3 years. She has worked and trained in the field of Nutrition and Health, consistently providing people with useful information about nutrition as well as helping them with their common health problems.